Guerneville School  Logo
GSD Board of Trustees Board Policies
Bonds: Measure F & G Business Services Calendar Facilities & Maintenance Federal Programs History/Mission Statement Human Resources/Staff Forms LCFF/LCAP Public Hearings and/or Notices Staff Contacts Superintendent
ELAC- English Learner Advisory Committee Community Support EL Info Emergency Preparedness FOGS: Friends of Guerneville School Forms/Notices/Procedures Free/Reduced Lunch applications School Accountability Report Card (SARC) Testing Information/CA Standards SBAC Test Results
After School Program Ballet Folklorico Bus Pass Forms/Schedule College Ready! Guerneville Education Outdoors Program Health Services (Students) Kindergarten/Transitional Kinder Music; Sing, Play, March!!!! Sports School Nutrition/Wellness Social & Emotional Learning Summer Programs

History/Mission Statement

 

     

2015-08-07 11.27.53.jpg
Our History
 

Guerneville School District can trace its rich history to several separate one-room schools all the way back to 1860. In fact, we are the second oldest school district in Sonoma County and one of the longest running districts in the state! In 2010, we were recognized by President Obama and our locally elected officials as we celebrated our sesquicentennial (150th) anniversary.

 

Miriam School, originally located on the Korbel winery property and eventually moving to Main Street, Guerneville, was the most direct forerunner of present-day Guerneville School. Madrona School in the Guernewood Park area, sent some of its pupils to Guerneville School when it closed in 1929. Mt. Jackson (formerly Summit) School served the old mining area north of Guerneville, until it closed in 1936. Finally, the Ridenhour School, just east of Korbel, existed as late as 1955 when the one-room school house closed, and students were bused to Guerneville the following year.

The change of name, from Miriam to Guerneville District took place on November 7, 1921. There was an operating junior high program located northwest of Main and Mill Street in downtown Guerneville. Elementary classes were conducted at what is now the Veterans' Memorial Building at First and Church Streets.

The present day School was built at 14630 Armstrong Woods Road and grades K through 8 were moved to the new location at the end of the 1949 school year. Since then, the school has been rebuilt in phases to raise the buildings above flood level. The primary classroom building was finished in 1983, the middle school, kindergarten and office buildings were completed in 1992 and the multi-purpose room was completed in 1996.

 

 

Mission Statement
Guerneville School District is recognized as a leader in education, serving as a model of excellence and innovation. It is a united community of students, parents and staff that are committed to high-quality education, excellence in teaching, and life-long learning.

We achieve this through a campus that is friendly, safe and welcoming; a district that accepts and is committed to diversity; and an educational environment that promotes unity of staff on both professional and community levels.

We prepare our students to be respectful and responsible members of their community by teaching to the whole student, addressing both physical and mental well-being.

We are in partnership with the larger community in achieving our vision and in imparting a sense of active citizenship to students of the Guerneville School District.